megacam and SIRTF

I have contacted Carol Lonsdale who is the leader of the most
relevant SIRTF program (see a brief description at sirtf.caltech.edu).
Although the details are not public they are after about 100 square
degrees, probably to a depth of about 5mJy in the L and M bands.

The SIRTF data are "immediately public" so this is a desirable situation.

However, we need to define a larger project which interests us, not just
a SIRTF piggyback effort.

Hello Ray,

I would certainly like to discuss this idea further with you.  I am not
making the coordinates public just yet, because the TAC has made some
recommendations for changes that we must first decide on.  I expect the
regions to be fully specified by Feb/March.

We do have quite extensive optical and NIR imaging plans, but certainly
not enough to be able to cover all the area as deep as we'd like.
So we are currently debating what fraction of the
area to image to what depth, given the telescope resources that we expect
to have available.   I would therefore very much like to arrange some
collaborations, or cooperations (as would be the case for CFH the way you
describe it), so that more of the total area can be done to greater depth.
It would not matter to me that the data would be proprietary for a year, as
long as your team reduces it; there's going to be far more data than we
can possibly handle!

What magnitude limit do you envisage reaching, for how many square degrees?
We are especially interested in people able to do U band, to add strong
discrimination power for photometric redshifts.

regards

Carol