A reminder + about prop. time

Bonne et heureuse annee 2001!

As you know, we have a lot of work ahead in the MSWG. I hope we
will be able to converge to a proposal able to get the adhesion of a
large part of the community interested in MegaCam in our three
"countries"...

A reminder: We meet in Paris on January 22, 23 and 24. Meeting will
take place at the Paris site of the Observatoire de Paris. Exact
location of the meeting room and time of the beginning of the
meeting will be given later. CFHT will reimburse your expenses
as usual.

Among the various points we will have to address, we find the
"proprietary time" issue. I would like to use this first email of
the year to state a a couple of points for those of you who are not
too familiar with the way CFHT deals with prop time:

- The prop time of the images is by default one year after the
date of the exposure. It has been 2 years for a long time though.
It's why we start seeing CFH12K data on the CFHT archive web site.
Many images have been already downloaded...

- A PI can ask for a longer prop. time. However, there is no clear
procedure established to study that. Seen from CFHT, we guess that,
if a program is accepted by a TAC, the request for a change of prop.
time (if any) is accepted at the same time. We have currently a very
few programs going on with this restriction. CFHT doesn't say a
word on that, and, from what I saw these past 18 months, the SAC
doesn't either.

Now, what should we do with the CFHLS (or the MegaCam surveys)? There
are pros and cons to any solution we will adopt. We could
1- let the data open right away to the whole world
2- let the data open right away to the CFH communities (or any
combination of CFH based on which agency is participating into the
survey) and keep the prop time to one year (the current default)
3- do as in 2 for the communities involved, but have a release schedule
tuned to the amount of data needed for nicely achieving the various
scientific goals.
4- do as in 2 for the communities, but release the data to the whole
world one year after the end of the CFHLS.

1 and 4 are very easy to implement.
1 won't please the agencies nor those who spent a lot of energy to make all
of that happening.
1 and 2 bring a poor protection to the communities, as there is no guarantee
that the first important scientific results will come from the CFH
communities.

If I want to be realistic,I would myself favor 4, though it means work to
be done in order to establish a schedule which makes sense to most of the
involved people.

In any case, as the data on the fields observed (position, filter, integration
time) will be public, I would insure the possibility of image retrieval on a
case by case basis for non survey related programs (pre-discovery images of
moving objects is an example, but there are many others).

OK... more soon!

Aloha

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Veillet,       CFHT Senior Resident Astronomer
Phone: (808) 885-3161   http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~veillet/