[Fwd: [cfhls-list] draft science case]

For your information...
--
Dr. Christian Veillet,       CFHT Senior Resident Astronomer
Phone: (808) 885-3161   http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~veillet/

The core of the draft megacam science case is coming together. We have tentatively
agreed to support the following:
o a wide, deep survey (u*g'r'i'z')
	-roughly 1 hr per filter (Megacam filter response still not defined)
	-first exposures spread over a few hours/days
	-2nd and 3rd epoch at 3 and 5 years
	-216 sq degrees in 6 6x6 patches
	-primary science driver: weak lensing of dark matter
	-secondary science: galactic structure, solar system census
o an ultra-deep synoptic survey
	-100 hour depth in red filters, 4 fields
	-observed 1hr every night with median or better seeing
		-statistically this is about 9 hours per month.
	-primary science: Supernova Factory (about 2500 Ia, alone, in 5 years)
			  gives 50 E/S0 Sne per year
				(all could, in principle, be done with GMOS)
			  gives a 10% w constraint when combined with Omega_Matter
				from lensing (or other results).
	-secondary science: galactic structure, solar system, variable stars

In total this is 590 nights in 5 years, about 59% of the CFH dark time, after
allowance for all overheads.

David Schade and I will make a presentation of this next Wed at HIA. Both
of us, and JJ Kavelaars, are available for discussion at your institution.

Assuming NSERC invites an application, a growing group of us will put
a CRO proposal forward to NSERC to fund a Canadian reduction pipeline
and Canadian based scientific analysis of the data.

--Ray Carlberg