Re: An update on the french meeting

  Dear all,

On 17-Jul-01 JJ Kavelaars wrote:
>  If one of the patches is 10x10 then
> I think there shouldn't be any additional patches needed.

    As it was discussed  in Paris, the 10x10 is NOT
a WL request, but a request from clusters (2 pt clus-clus correlation
function) and those looking at very large scale on galaxy distribution.
So the 10x10 deg^2  and 4 6x6 deg^2 are independent specificications,
with different scientific goals.

  WL DOES NOT request angular scale larger than 6 degrees and I showed
that:

    - beyond 6 degrees systematics largely dominate over the cosmic
shear signal,  so signal on scale larger than 6 degrees is not possible
to reach , even assuming  improvment of the shear measurement by a factor
larger than  3 (this is the limit we fixed as possible improvement based on
realistic assumptions from the imrpovmenets over the period 1993 to 2000)

    - beyond 6 degrees the signal on the power spectrum from kappa is
totally dominated by cosmic variance.

    - the power spectrum of cosmic shear contains useful informations
on cosmological scenario (lambda, effective quintescence, SUGRA or
RP quintesence fields) only on scale smaller than 6-5 degrees down to
arcminute scales.

    - 4 6x6  vs 10 x10 is BY FAR much better for the cosmic variance,
so WL does not want to switch from 4 6x6 to 10x10  deg^2 field. In
term of cosmic variance that would be a big mistake.

   All the best

Yannick

PLEASE  NOTE:  NEW OFFICE  AND PHONE NUMBER: April 10, 2001 [NEW CHANGE!!]
 Yannick  Mellier                      Tel        : (33) 1 44 32 81 40
 Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris     Fax        : (33) 1 44 32 80 01
 98 bis boulevard Arago                Switchboard: (33) 1 44 32 80 00
 75014 Paris                           Office     : 210A (2nd floor)
 France